A delicious traditional and easy Christmas red cabbage recipe. This classic festive side dish is suitable for vegetarians and vegans and is a must-have on every Christmas dinner table.
Spiced red cabbage is a Christmas classic
The colour of red cabbage is just incredible don't you think? How could you see something so bright and vibrant and not be tempted to give it a try?
Well - quite easily if you're my kids apparently but that's fine. Not everything I make has to be for them. Ever since we started having a Christmas meal with our friends in London every December this vegan red cabbage recipe has been an essential part of our festive table.
It's easier than you might think to cook red cabbage for a roast dinner. Our friend Russ, now more often called Uncle Wuss, has made this without fail every year since we started the tradition way back in the dark ages (circa 2004 I think).
This is my take on his recipe.
Red cabbage is the perfect Christmas side dish
My red cabbage is suitable for vegans and vegetarians and is the perfect accompaniment to any Christmas meal. If you're planning a veggie or vegan Christmas this year why not try this with my:
- parsnip, chestnut and sage wreath (vegan)
- garlic roasted Brussel sprouts
- maple balsamic roasted carrots and parsnips
- roast Brussels sprouts with Jerusalem artichokes
- and lots of roast potatoes of course?
More Christmas recipes you might like
- Healthier Christmas rocky road
- Christmas banana bread
- Nut free coconut snowballs
- 25 healthy Christmas treats for kids
- Five vegetarian Christmas dinner ideas.
- 15 best vegan cookbooks
- Roasted balsamic Brussels sprouts
- Rosemary roast potatoes
Pin this braised red cabbage recipe for later:
How to make easy Christmas red cabbage:
Christmas red cabbage takes a while to cook but it's really very easy to make.
Simply cook the onion, add grated apple and spices then shred the cabbage and add it bit by bit before leaving it to cook down for an hour or so.
It can be made in advance and reheated to save time on the big day.
Easy Christmas red cabbage recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 2 eating apples grated
- 3 cloves
- 3 star anise
- 1/8 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 800 g red cabbage shredded
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy based pan with a lid. Add the sliced red onion, stir and reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until the onion is soft. Stir occasionally.
- Add the grated apple, the spices and the vinegar. Stir, then add the red cabbage bit by bit, stirring as you go so that it's coated in the spices.
- Cover and cook on a low heat for an hour or until the cabbage is cooked through.
- Serve with a roast dinner.
See all my Christmas recipes.
Have you tried this recipe?
Keep in touch
Subscribe to my newsletter to get recipes and news straight to your inbox.