These chocolate reindeer rice cakes are a fabulous, fun festive activity to do with the kids. Use chocolate hummus for a healthy Christmas treat children will adore.
These chocolate reindeer rice cake faces are so much fun for kids to make.
The children at my mini chefs toddler cooking classes adore making these (if I can stop them from eating all the pretzels first!).
They're easy enough for toddlers to make, but fun for big kids too.
And if you make your own chocolate hummus to spread them with they're pretty healthy too.
Have you tried chocolate hummus before? It really is incredible.
Like a healthy chocolate spread it's packed with plant-based protein (chickpeas and tahini) and can be made as sweet (or not) as you like.
Read more about chocolate hummus.
This recipe is very adaptable and allergy friendly. This makes it great for children's parties or for a fun food activity for schools, playgroups and nurseries.
It is suitable for the following special diets:
- dairy free
- egg free
- gluten free
- nut free
It is not suitable for those with a sesame allergy due to the tahini in the hummus.
This recipe is best eaten straight away.
Any leftover chocolate hummus can be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days in an airtight container.
More fun Christmas recipes to make with kids
Here are some other festive recipes that are fun to make with children:
For full recipe, ingredients and quantities go to the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
To make your reindeers you will need:
- a portion of chocolate hummus or healthy chocolate spread
- rice cakes
- raisins or chocolate chips
- cranberries or raspberries
To make the chocolate hummus you will need a food processor or blender.
You don't need any other special equipment.
How to make chocolate reindeer rice cakes
If you've made this recipe please a star rating and comment below. Thank you!
Please do not reproduce this recipe without permission.
Chocolate reindeer rice cakes
For the chocolate hummus*
- 240 g cooked chickpeas (1 standard tin, drained)
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract optional
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- cold water
To make the rice cake faces
- 6 rice cakes
- 12 pretzels
- 1 banana sliced
- 12 raisins or chocolate chips
- 6 cranberries or raspberries
For the chocolate hummus
- Place a drained and rinsed tin of chickpeas, 3 tablespoons cocoa powder, 1 tablespoon tahini, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 3 tablespoons maple syrup into a food processor.*
- Pulse until smooth, stopping several times to scrape the sides down.
To make the reindeer faces
- Spread each rice cake chocolate hummus.
- Slice the banana and add 2 slices to the rice cake for eyes.
- Add a raisin or chocolate chip in the centre of each banana slice - use a tiny piece of chocolate hummus to make it stick down.
- Next add two pretzels for antlers and a cranberry (or raspberry) for the nose.
- You can substitute a healthy chocolate spread if you prefer.
- Use a hand held blender if you don't have a food processor.
- Nutritional information is approximate and is intended as a guide only.
Pin chocolate reindeer rice cakes for later
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
If you loved this recipe why not let me know by leaving a comment below? Alternatively you can let me know on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook.
KEEP IN TOUCH
Subscribe to get recipes and news straight to your inbox. Read more about Sneaky Veg
This post may contain affiliate links. See my full disclosure for more information.
Leave a Reply