This orange and chocolate tiffin is an absolutely wonderful no bake refrigerator cake. Dangerously moreish, deliciously flavoured and easy to make. What's not to like?
Chocolate orange always makes me think of my brother who is extremely partial to a Terry's Chocolate Orange, so much so that one Christmas he received five. Needless to say it's now become something of a family tradition to buy him a chocolate orange for every special occasion.
This chocolate orange tiffin is so good that I will definitely have to make it for him next time we get together, yet it came about completely by accident. A friend asked me whether I had a tiffin, or fridge cake, recipe, I shared with her my Mary Berry recipe for Chocolate Nut Tiffin Squares and was then inspired to make it myself. I didn't have enough sultanas so I stuck in some candied orange peel instead - with delicious results.
If you like the chocolate orange taste I urge you to try this - it is delicious. And yes, I know it's slightly tenuous including this (as this blog is all about including fruit and vegetables in food for children) but we all deserve a treat now and then.
What is tiffin?
A tiffin is a fridge cake. It usually contains crumbled biscuits and dried fruit such as raisins and is covered in a gloriously unhealthy mixture of butter, golden syrup and chocolate. It doesn't require any cooking (apart from the melting of the chocolate) and is stored in the fridge instead to set. It's similar to rocky road, just without the marshmallows.
Tiffin is also a word for a snack or light meal in India - for example you might see a sign at a railway station ticket office in India announcing that the staff have gone for their tiffin break.
Other no bake recipes you might like
If you like this you might like this:
- Healthier Christmas rocky road, or tiffin
- Chocolate cornflake cakes
- No bake cereal bars
- Rice krispie nests
Check out my new vegan food blog, Cook Veggielicious.
How to make orange and chocolate tiffin
If you have made this recipe I would love it if you’d leave a comment and rating below. Thank you!
Orange and chocolate tiffin
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 175 g butter
- 100 g plain chocolate broken into pieces
- 225 g digestive biscuits chopped
- 100 g rich tea biscuits chopped
- 100 g walnuts chopped
- 90 g sultanas
- 90 g candied orange peel
- 100-200 g plain chocolate melted, optional, for topping
- Lightly grease a 30 x 23cm roasting tin. Melt the syrup, butter and chocolate together (I do this in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of hot water).
- Remove from the heat, allow to cool slightly then add the crushed biscuits, walnuts and dried fruit and mix well.
- Place in the roasting tin and level the surface. Drizzle melted chocolate over the top.
- Allow to cool and then chill in the fridge overnight until set. Cut into squares to serve and keep in the fridge.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
This recipe is adapted from one in Mary Berry's Ultimate Cake Book.