Creamy, rich and chocolatey, this vegan chocolate avocado mousse recipe is utterly delicious. It was a resounding success with my kids (unsurprisingly) and is one that I'll be making time and time again.
I've been thinking a lot lately about the merits of sneaking fruit and veg into food. A post from Emotionally Aware Eating made me step back and question what I was doing. And I think there's a lot of truth in what Jo, the author of the blog says. I've got a copy of her book, War & Peas, to review so I'll be reporting back on that soon. After a bit of soul searching I kept coming back to the same thought - that I do serve up unhidden fruit and veg; they almost always end up in the bin (or rather in our fancy new food waste bin, thanks to Lambeth Council); and that I really do want my children to have some fruit and veg in their diet even though it's hidden.
For a while now I've been experimenting with being more upfront about what is in the sneaky veg recipes. Unfortunately this now means that some old favourites are now refused. Luckily Little Miss R is not so affected by this knowledge - she tends to decide on first glance whether something is acceptable to her, or not, and is going through a frustrating phase of throwing her plate across the table if she doesn't like the look of something. But that's by the by - this phase will pass.
So when I decided to borrow this wonderful idea from Eat Your Veg for chocolate avocado mousse I kept my lips sealed as to the secret ingredient - with the result that the whole thing was scoffed, although little R couldn't quite manage her whole portion.
More avocado dessert recipes
Pin vegan chocolate avocado mousse for later
If you like this you might enjoy my vegan hot chocolate recipe.
Here's how to make vegan chocolate avocado mousse:
This recipe is super easy to make - make sure your avocados are nice and ripe!
If you have made this recipe I would love it if you’d leave a comment and rating below. Thank you!
Vegan chocolate avocado mousse
For the mousse
- 2 ripe avocados
- 50 g plain dark vegan chocolate at least 70% cocoa content
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- Extra dark chocolate grated
- Melt the chocolate, either in a pan over a saucepan of simmering water, or in the microwave (take care if you choose the latter method).
- Allow to cool then whizz up in a blender or food processor with the avocado, maple syrup and cocoa powder.
- Spoon into small serving bowls (this recipe makes four children's portions or two adult portions) and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or until you're ready to serve it.
- Before serving grate over extra dark chocolate and serve with raspberries.