These healthy macaroni cheese muffins with cauliflower are great for lunchboxes. They can be eaten hot or cold. Perfect for picky eaters as they contain a portion of hidden veg.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Affiliate links are marked with *.
In need of healthy lunch box ideas?
It's back to school next week for my kids and for the first time in a few years I'm going to be packing a daily lunch box. Until now my kids have had free hot school lunches every day.
While we could continue to receive these if we chose to pay for them, my seven-year-old son is desperate to have a packed lunch instead. I've agreed on one condition - that he tries some new things.
We've also tried:
- sweet potato, spinach and ricotta pancakes
- carrot cake nut free energy balls
- sweet potato orange cookies
- olive breadsticks
One of those new things is these cauliflower macaroni cheese muffins.
My son would prefer to eat these hot but at his school there's no facility for heating food up. I may try sending them in a Thermos and see how that goes. I think they're pretty tasty cold though.
Can these macaroni cheese muffins be frozen?
Yes, these cauliflower macaroni cheese muffins also freeze well. Simply take them out of the freezer the night before and they'll be ready by lunchtime.
Plus, with a portion of hidden veg they're a great choice for picky eaters. Getting a portion of veg into my son's lunchbox (or at least one that doesn't come home uneaten) is a big challenge for us. These lunchbox muffins really hit the spot.
They're also great for weaning
I've also discovered that cooking these in muffin tins* and freezing them means that they are the perfect size for baby or toddler lunches. You have 12 little portions of lunch stored in the freezer for those moments when hunger strikes and you don't have a plan.
What do you use to make macaroni cheese muffins?
I have some little silicone cupcake cases* which are perfect for popping these into lunch boxes to keep them intact.
I also baked these in a silicone muffin tin* to make them easier to remove. If you're using a silicone tin it's a good idea to put it on a baking tray* before filling them up as it's easier to get it in and out of the oven this way.
If you don't have a silicone tin you can use a regular muffin tin, but you'll need to grease it very well.
Read more about how to roast cauliflower.
If you like this you might like this butternut squash macaroni cheese.
Pin cauliflower macaroni cheese muffins for later:
How to make healthy macaroni cheese muffins with cauliflower:
Cauliflower macaroni cheese
- 170 g macaroni or similar small pasta shape use wholemeal for extra nutritional value
- 200 g cauliflower broken into florets
- 25 g butter
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 500 ml milk
- 100 g cheddar cheese grated
- 50 g breadcrumbs
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6.
- Steam or boil 200g cauliflower until soft.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and add 170g macaroni. Cook according to the packet instructions until al dente.
- Melt 25g butter in a small saucepan. Stir through 1 tbsp plain flour and whisk in 500ml milk, a little at a time. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and cook, stirring often, for around five minutes. Don't worry about the sauce thickening too much as you want it to be on the runny side for macaroni cheese.
- Remove from the heat and add the 100g grated cheddar cheese. Stir until melted.
- Add the cooked cauliflower to the sauce and blend with a handheld blender until smooth.
- Drain the pasta when cooked and add to the sauce, mixing well.
- Pour into your muffin tin, sprinkle over 50g breadcrumbs and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely in the tin before removing otherwise they'll fall apart.
- Store in the fridge or freezer.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
Subscribe to my newsletter to get recipes and news straight to your inbox.
*Disclaimer: this is an affiliate link meaning that if you buy something after clicking on it I'll receive a small commission, which I will probably spend on buying more ingredients for Sneaky Veg recipes! The price to you remains the same. Thanks for supporting Sneaky Veg. Read my full disclosure.