healthyIf you love Christmas spices you'll love this carrot Christmas loaf cake. All the festive flavours you could ever want and a portion of veg too.
As you do when you write a blog called Sneaky Veg I've long been wondering whether you can sneak vegetables into a tea loaf - and it turns out you can. I've added lots of dried fruit and mixed spice to this one to make it taste really Christmassy, seeing as there's still over a week to go before I can tuck into my Christmas cake, but you could make this any time of year really. For a lighter version you could use soft brown sugar instead and cut down on the dried fruit.
I took some new photos for this recipe nearly five years after it was first published (in 2018). I am now vegan so I tested a vegan version of this cake for those of you looking for a vegan loaf cake recipe - see recipe below. At the same time I experimented with using coconut sugar instead of muscovado sugar to make this a little healthier.
Other tea loaf recipes
- Earl grey tea and rhubarb loaf cake
- Pumpkin spice tea loaf (vegan)
- Banana malt loaf
- Mini Simnel cakes
- Christmas banana bread
- mini carrot cake loaves
If you like this you might like these:
- 15 best vegan cookbooks (over on my vegan food blog cookveggielicious.com)
- these cooking gifts for kids
- or one of my other Christmas recipes such as these:
Pin carrot Christmas loaf cake for later
How to make carrot Christmas loaf cake
This Christmas loaf cake is very easy to make. All that you need to do is mix all the ingredients apart from the dried fruit together in a bowl and beat well. Once it's well mixed you then add the dried fruit and candied peel and mix again. The longest part of the job is grating the carrots. If you have a food processor with a grater use it here! Alternatively if you have a child who loves to help in the kitchen get them to do it (pointing out of course that graters are sharp!).
Once everything's mixed together it needs to bake in the oven for about an hour and then you just need to leave it to cool before you tuck in. I hope you enjoy my carrot Christmas tea loaf!
If you have made this recipe I would love it if you’d leave a comment and rating below. Thank you!
Carrot Christmas loaf cake
- 20 g candied orange peel chopped
- 150 g butter or dairy free spread softened
- 150 g dark muscavado sugar or coconut sugar
- 175 g carrots peeled and grated
- 2 large eggs beaten or 2 x flax eggs (see notes)
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 100 g mixed dried fruit currants, sultanas, cranberries
- 1 tbsp milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C(fan)/180°C/gas mark 4. Grease and line a 900g loaf tin with baking paper.
- Place the butter, sugar, carrots, eggs, flour, baking powder and mixed spice into a large mixing bowl and beat well until blended. Add the candied peel and dried fruit and stir in well. If necessary add the milk to give it a dropping consistency. Spoon it into the tin.
- Bake in the oven for around an hour until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. This took around an hour and ten minutes in my oven. Leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes then turn out and leave to cool completely on a wire rack. If making the vegan version leave to cool in the tin completely before turning out.
- Delicious served sliced with butter and a cup of tea.