Delicious and easy carrot, apple and sage vegetarian sausage rolls. Perfect for parties, nibbles, healthy snacks or lunch boxes.
My kids really love sausage rolls.
Whenever they're at a party they make a beeline straight for them (stopping for a few crisps on the way of course).
So it's been on my mind for ages that I should recreate a healthier, vegetarian sausage roll recipe that ideally contains some fruit or veg. In the end I came up with a recipe that contains both.
A healthier, vegetarian or vegan sausage roll
These carrot, apple and sage vegetarian sausage rolls are easy to make using ready rolled puff pastry, contain a good portion of hidden fruit and veg and can be frozen making them perfect for make ahead party food or lunchboxes.
If you are looking for vegan sausage rolls simply use a flax egg instead of an egg and brush with plant milk before baking.
How to make carrot, apple and sage vegetarian sausage rolls
1. Rehydrate your soya mixture, add the grated carrot and apple, the sage and season well with salt and pepper if required.
2. Cut a pastry sheet in half and place some of the soya mixture in the centre of it. Using your hands press it firmly together in the middle of the pastry.
3.Fold over the pastry and press together firmly with your fingers. You can use a fork to add a pattern to the edges if you wish. Brush with plant milk or an egg wash and cut into 10 pieces. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
If you like this you might also like my vegetable samosas.
Other vegetarian puff pastry recipes
- Red lentil and sweet potato swirls
- Easy pizza pinwheels
- Spinach pesto palmiers
- Butternut squash cheese straws
- Puff pastry pizza
Did you know that I also have a vegan food blog, Cook Veggielicious? I'd love it if you paid me a visit over there.
Pin carrot, apple and sage vegetarian sausage rolls for later
Carrot, apple and sage vegetarian sausage rolls
- 50 g dehydrated soya mince
- 1/2 small carrot grated
- 1 small apple peeled and grated
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- handful of breadcrumbs
- 1 beaten egg or 1 flax egg 1 tbsp ground flax seeds mixed with 3 tbsp water
- salt and pepper optional
- beaten egg or non dairy milk for brushing
- 1 x 320g sheets of ready rolled puff pastry
- Place the soya mince in a bowl and cover with boiling water and leave for 10 minutes. Drain well in a sieve and allow to cool a little. Using your hands squeeze out excess water.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6.
- Return the soya mince to the bowl. Squeeze excess water from the grated apple then add it to the soya mince along with the breadcrumbs, grated carrot, egg or flax egg and sage. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Mix well - this is easiest with your hands.
- Unroll the sheet of puff pastry. Cut in half lengthways.
- Place a strip of the soya mixture along the middle, shaping it with your hands into a sausage shape. Don’t overfill.
- Pinch the long ends of the pastry together over the sausage mixture so you have a long sausage shape. You can use a fork to make a pattern along the edge if you wish.
- Repeat with the second strip
- If you have time place in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up before cutting. This will help them to keep their shape but it isn’t essential.
- Slice each strip into 10 rounds and place on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper (you can use the paper that the pastry comes in). Brush the tops with vegan milk or an egg wash.
- Bake for 15 -20 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack then store in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days. Can be frozen.