Delicious and easy carrot, apple and sage vegetarian sausage rolls. Perfect for parties, nibbles, healthy snacks or lunch boxes.
Great for kids
Whenever my kids are at a party they make a beeline straight for the sausage rolls (stopping for a few crisps on the way of course).
So it's been on my mind for ages that I should recreate a healthier, vegetarian sausage roll recipe that ideally contains some fruit or veg.
In the end I came up with a recipe that contains both.
These vegetarian sausage rolls contain both apple and carrot - perfect for picky eaters!
A healthier, vegetarian or vegan sausage roll
These carrot, apple and sage vegetarian sausage rolls are easy to make using ready rolled puff pastry, contain a good portion of hidden fruit and veg and can be frozen making them perfect for make ahead party food or lunchboxes.
They're great for Christmas parties.
Make them vegan
If you are looking for vegan sausage rolls simply use a flax egg instead of an egg to help bind the mixture together and brush with plant milk before baking.
How to stop them falling apart
Vegetarian sausage rolls made with soya mince can have a little trouble staying together.
In this recipe I use a flax egg (or beaten egg if not vegan) to help the sausage rolls stick together.
I also recommend that you chill your rolls in the fridge for thirty minutes before slicing and baking. Puff pastry gets soft very quickly when worked with so chilling at this stage will help your sausage rolls to keep a good shape.
How to make carrot, apple and sage vegetarian sausage rolls
For full recipe, ingredients and quantities go to the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
1. Rehydrate your soya mixture, add the grated carrot and apple, the sage and season well with salt and pepper if required.
2. Cut a pastry sheet in half and place some of the soya mixture in the centre of it. Using your hands press it firmly together in the middle of the pastry.
3. Fold over the pastry and press together firmly with your fingers. You can use a fork to add a pattern to the edges if you wish. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
4. Brush with plant milk or an egg wash and cut into 10 pieces. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
If you like this you might also like my vegetable samosas.
If you've made this recipe please a leave a star rating and comment below. Thank you
Please do not reproduce this recipe without permission.
Carrot, apple and sage vegetarian sausage rolls
- 50 g dehydrated soya mince
- ½ small carrot grated
- 1 small apple peeled and grated
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder optional
- ½ teaspoon garlic granules
- small handful breadcrumbs
- 1 beaten egg or 1 flax egg*
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 beaten egg or non dairy milk for brushing
- 320 g sheet ready rolled puff pastry
To prepare the sausage roll filling
- Place 50g soya mince in a bowl, cover with boiling water and leave for 10 minutes. Drain well in a sieve and allow to cool. Once cool use your hands to squeeze out excess water.
- Return the soya mince to the bowl.
- Use your hands to squeeze any excess water from the grated apple then add it to the soya mince along with a handful of breadcrumbs, the grated carrot, a beaten egg or flax egg*, ½ teaspoon of sage and if using ½ teaspoon mustard powder and ½ teaspoon of garlic granules.
- Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and mix well.
To assemble the sausage rolls
- Unroll the sheet of puff pastry. Cut in half lengthways so you have two long thin strips of pastry.
- Place a strip of the soya mixture along the middle of one of your pastry strips, shaping it as you go into a sausage shape. Don’t overfill or your sausage rolls won't hold together.
- Fold one side of pastry over and pinch together so you have a long sausage shape. You can use a fork to make a pattern along the edge if you wish.
- Repeat with the second strip
- Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up before cutting into sausage rolls*.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6.
- When ready to cook slice each strip into 10 rounds and place on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper (you can use the paper that the pastry comes in).
- Brush the tops with vegan milk or beaten egg. This will help the pastry to turn golden.
- Bake for 15 -20 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack then store in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days. Can be frozen.
- To make a flax egg mix 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds (or chia seeds) with 3 tablespoons water. Stir and set aside for a few minutes to thicken.
- Chilling your sausage rolls before slicing will help them to keep their shape but it isn’t essential if you are short of time.
- Nutritional information is approximate and is intended as a guide only.
Pin carrot, apple and sage vegetarian sausage rolls for later
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
This post may contain affiliate links. See my full disclosure for more information.