This vegetable, spinach and borlotti bean soup is hearty and healthy and is packed full of vegetables and pulses.
Autumn chills mean soup season is here
Did you spend this morning playing with a toddler in the park, perhaps with crunchy autumn leaves underfoot? Or did you have a shivery trip to work today, before the sun rose fully to warm away the autumn chill? I did the former, and we had a lovely time - but I really wish I'd taken my gloves! Whatever your day holds, if you're looking for a warming, healthy and filling vegan soup recipe then this is for you.
What's in this vegan borlotti bean soup?
It's packed full of goodness (carrots, borlotti beans and spinach) and flavour (thyme, fennel, onion and garlic). If you're not keen on the taste of fennel you can leave this out and the soup will still be delicious. Even better, it only takes around half an hour to cook. If you don't have borlotti beans available feel free to substitute others. White beans such as cannellini beans work well in this soup.
This is the kind of recipe I save for days when it's just me and the toddler for lunch. He's still at the age where he gets excited about carrots. My other two children would cause a drama if I served this to them. I know I should keep trying but I'm in this for the long game and this is going to be too big a leap for them at the moment!
Whether you have a child at home who would enjoy this or not this is a delicious and simple soup recipe. Make a batch on the weekend and take it into work for lunch, or enjoy it as a family. If you do try it I'd love to hear what you thought!
More vegetarian soup recipes
- Tortellini soup recipe
- Curried parsnip soup
- Spiced butternut squash and sweet potato soup
- Tomato soup with basil
- Pea and mint soup
- Root vegetable soup
- Spinach and split pea soup
Pin vegan spinach, borlotti bean and vegetable soup for later:
How to make vegetable, spinach and borlotti bean soup
If you have made this recipe I would love it if you’d leave a comment and rating below. Thank you!
Spinach, borlotti bean and vegetable soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 sticks of celery diced
- 2 large carrots peeled and diced
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme leaves picked, washed and chopped
- 1 litre of vegetable stock
- 400 g tin of borlotti beans
- 100 g baby spinach
- Salt, pepper and/or chilli flakes - to serve
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Add a chopped onion onion and three chopped stalks of celery. Stir well. Cover with a lid, reduce the heat to low and cook for five minutes. Add 2 chopped carrots, stir again, cover and cook for a further 10 minutes until the vegetables are starting to soften.
- Add 2 cloves chopped garlic, 1 tsp fennel seeds and thyme leaves (picked and chopped from 3-4 sprigs of thyme), stir and cook for a minute or two.
- Pour in a tin of borlotti beans and 1 litre vegetable stock. This makes quite a liquid soup - if you prefer yours thicker perhaps start with 500ml and add water until you have your preferred consistency. Bring to the boil, then cook for 15 minutes or until all the vegetables are cooked through.
- Stir through 100g baby spinach leaves until wilted.
- Season with salt, pepper and chilli flakes to taste.