This vegetable, spinach and borlotti bean soup is hearty and healthy and is packed full of vegetables and pulses. Warming, nutritious and vegan-friendly.
Soups are a brilliant way to pack in the goodness.
Whether it's in the form of veggies, spices or pulses - or perhaps all three - a hearty bowl of soup is comforting and nourishing in the way that nothing else is.
This spinach and borlotti bean soup:
- is a good source of protein - borlotti (rosecoco) beans
- contains lots of herbs and flavour
- includes five portions of veg (including the beans)
- tastes delicious
- takes around 30 minutes to cook
- is suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
Great for autumn or winter
While this soup can be eaten at any time of year I find it to be particularly good as the weather starts to get chillier around autumn (fall).
If you're feeling the cold and you're looking for a warming, healthy and filling vegan soup recipe then this recipe for you.
Make a batch on the weekend and take it into work for lunch, or enjoy it as a family.
For full recipe, ingredients and quantities go to the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
This soup is packed full of goodness. Here's what you'll need to make it:
- olive oil
- fennel seeds
- fresh thyme
- vegetable stock
- borlotti (rosecoco) beans
- salt, pepper and/or chilli flakes
This recipe is very flexible and can be easily adapted. Here are some easy adaptations you can make:
- leave the fennel seeds out if you don't like them
- substitute other beans for the borlotti beans. White beans such as cannellini beans work well in this soup
- use other greens instead of spinach eg kale or chard - you may need to cook it for longer to soften it.
How to make vegetable, spinach and borlotti bean soup
If you have made this recipe I would love it if you’d leave a comment and rating below. Thank you!
Please do not reproduce this recipe without permission.
Spinach, borlotti bean and vegetable soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 celery sticks diced
- 2 large carrots peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme leaves picked, washed and chopped
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 240 g tinned borlotti (rosecoco) beans 1 standard 400g tin, drained and rinsed
- 100 g spinach leaves
- Salt, pepper and/or chilli flakes - to serve
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Add your chopped onions, celery and carrots. Stir well, then cover with a lid, reduce the heat to low and cook for 10-15 minutes until the vegetables have started to soften. Stir occasionally.
- Add two cloves chopped garlic, 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds and your chopped thyme leaves, stir well and cook for a minute or two.
- Next add the drained borlotti beans and 1 litre vegetable stock*. Bring to the boil, then cook for 15 minutes or until all the vegetables are cooked through.
- Stir through 100g spinach leaves, and heat until wilted.
- Season with salt, pepper and chilli flakes to taste.
- This makes quite a liquid soup - if you prefer yours thicker perhaps start with 500ml and add water until you have your preferred consistency.
- Nutritional information is approximate and is intended as a guide only.