An easy recipe for beetroot, walnut and goats cheese savoury palmiers using ready-made puff pastry. A delicious and easy vegetarian canapé or snack.
This recipe for beetroot, walnut and goats cheese savoury palmiers is really easy to make.
Ready-made puff pastry.
They taste amazing and are a great way to add an extra portion of vegetables into a vegetarian starter, snack or canapé.
What are palmiers?
Palmiers are small French pastries in the shape of a palm leaf, which can be sweet or savoury.
If you're a regular reader you'll know that I've been attempting to bake along with this year's Great British Bake Off. Last week the remaining four contestants in the show (I can't believe there's only one week left!) were asked to make palmiers for their signature challenge.
Patisserie isn't my strong point when it comes to baking - I'm much more at home making cakes and bread. I'm also short on time so making my own puff pastry is probably never going to happen.
These savoury palmiers take just minutes to make
If you use ready made puff pastry it takes just a matter of minutes to put these palmiers together.
Once cooked the cheese goes all gooey and some of it oozes out - which makes them even more delicious. I think they're particularly lovely when served warm but they make a great canapé or snack both hot or cold.
I had a one in three success rate with the kids - one refused to try them, one picked off the filling and only ate the pastry and the littlest one loved them. Which meant that I ended up eating rather a lot of them myself. Oh well...
These little beetroot canapes are a great option for a vegetarian party. They look really impressive and no-one will ever know how quick they are to make.
How to make beetroot, walnut and goats cheese savoury palmiers
If you have made this recipe I would love it if you’d leave a comment and rating below. Thank you!
Please do not reproduce this recipe without permission.
Beetroot, walnut and goats cheese savoury palmiers
- 30 g walnuts
- 150 g cooked beetroot chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 65 g goats cheese
- 320 g sheet of ready rolled puff pastry
- Place 30g walnuts in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- Add 150g cooked beetroot and process until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Unroll the 320g sheet of puff pastry, leaving it on its original paper.
- Spread the beetroot mixture over the top, then crumble 65g goats cheese into small pieces on top.
- Roll the pastry up tightly along the long side to the middle, then repeat from the other side.
- Wrap in the paper and chill in the fridge for several hours. If you're short of time 20 minutes in the freezer should do it.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6. Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Remove the palmier roll from the fridge and remove the paper. Using a sharp knife cut into one cm piece and place on the baking tray.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 15-20 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.