Buckwheat bars are a delicious way to use up leftover cooked buckwheat. A tasty and healthy snack, I'm sure you're going to love these banana and blueberry buckwheat bars. Suitable for vegans.
Now, you might think it's unlikely that you'll have any leftover buckwheat in the fridge because you either never cook with it or you don't even know what it is! If that's you then read on - if not skip to the recipe at the end.
What is buckwheat?
Buckwheat looks like a grain but is actually a seed, and despite its name is gluten free. (Check the packaging if you are gluten intolerant or coeliac to check it's certified gluten free).
It is eaten in Russia and many countries across Eastern Europe and Asia, and is rapidly gaining in popularity here in the UK.
For example I picked up some buckwheat pasta the other day and soba noodles are making their way onto our table on a weekly basis at the moment.
Scroll down for more recipes that use buckwheat.
What does buckwheat taste like?
Buckwheat has a distinctive, nutty taste, that some people aren't initially keen on. I've really come to like the flavour and am increasingly using it in place of rice. In fact I much prefer it in a salad to rice.
These banana and blueberry buckwheat bars divided opinion in my house with two of us loving them, two of us not liking them and one sitting on the fence.
The taste is a little unusual but once you've got the taste for it you'll love these bars. They are also vegan and refined sugar free and by using gluten free oats you can easily make them gluten free too.
More buckwheat recipes
- Sweet potato salad with blueberries, walnuts and buckwheat
- Sumac roasted peppers with buckwheat salad by Veggie Desserts
- Buckwheat salad with roasted vegetables by Searching for Spice
- Kale and red onion dhal with buckwheat by Easy Peasy Foodie
- Broccoli and buckwheat by Allotment 2 Kitchen
- Buckwheat and quinoa lunch cups by Baby Led Blog
- Buckwheat macaroni cheese by Everyday Healthy Recipes
- Vegan mushroom and buckwheat shepherd's pie by Yumsome
- Buckwheat, cauliflower and chickpea salad by Cook Veggielicious
Pin buckwheat banana blueberry bars for later
How to make banana and blueberry buckwheat bars:
If you have made this recipe I would love it if you’d leave a comment and rating below. Thank you!
Banana and blueberry buckwheat bars
- 3 ripe bananas
- 115 g cooked buckwheat roughly 40g dried buckwheat will equal this amount.
- 160 g oats
- 30 g raisins
- 100 g blueberries
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6. Grease a 20x30cm tin and line with baking paper.
- Mash 3 ripe bananas in a mixing bowl, then add 115g cooked buckwheat, 160g oats, 30g raisins, 100g blueberries and 1 tsp vanilla extract. Stir well.
- Scrape into the prepared tin and smooth over the top.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the top is turning golden brown and the bars are firm to the touch.
- Transfer to a wire cooling rack and allow to cool completely before cutting into bars or squares.
This recipe was adapted from these blueberry quinoa breakfast bars by Our Autism Diet.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
KEEP IN TOUCH
Subscribe to get recipes and news straight to your inbox.