This vegan shepherd's pie with aubergine and chickpeas is flavoured with Indian spices and is hearty, filling and jam-packed full of flavour.
I don't know about you but most of the recipes for vegan or vegetarian shepherd's pies that I've tried have been a little disappointing.
- Too sloppy
- Too dry
- A bit bland
I decided that it was time to do something about that. So I've created this recipe for you for an aubergine and chickpea Indian-spiced shepherd's pie.
It's a vegan recipe and I think it's really good.
The result is a hearty, filling dinner that's full of flavour.
Even the mashed potato is jazzed up a bit, with ground cumin added.
This isn't a hidden vegetable recipe as such. And to be honest the kids weren't very keen on the aubergine so that got picked out by the two Rs.
True to form Baby S however enjoyed this wholeheartedly.
The cumin mashed potato though? The kids LOVED it.
What to serve with this vegan shepherd's pie
Shepherd's pie is a very filling dish. This vegan Indian-spiced version, with the cumin mashed potato and the chickpeas is no exception.
Despite, or perhaps because of, its filling nature, I like to serve some veggies alongside my shepherd's pie. The meal can get a bit stodgy otherwise.
Here are some ideas for what to serve:
- My kids love steamed carrots or broccoli alongside their vegan shepherd's pie.
- I like some lightly sautéed green cabbage - perhaps with some mustard seeds to keep with the Indian theme.
- Or if you're feeling lazy or in need of extra comfort a tin of baked beans goes very well on the side. If you fancy trying making homemade beans try my recipe for stove top baked beans.
More recipes you might like
If you like this you might like:
- lentil vegan shepherd's pie with herby mash
- veggie sausage pasta traybake
- vegan shepherd's pie with swede topping
- sausage, potato and cauliflower traybake.
Check out these 30 delicious vegetarian family meals.
Pin vegan shepherd's pie with Indian spices for later
How to make this Indian-spiced vegan shepherd's pie
If you have made this recipe I would love it if you’d leave a comment and rating below. Thank you!
Indian-spiced vegan shepherd's pie with aubergine and chickpeas
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 900 g potatoes
- 1 tbsp vegan margarine
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- a thumb-sized piece of ginger
- 1 large aubergine
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 400 g tin of chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 400 g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (fan)/200°C/gas mark 6.
- Finely chop the onion, garlic and ginger and dice the aubergine.
- Place the diced aubergine in an oven-proof dish, add 1 tbsp of sunflower oil and stir well. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 30 minutes until soft and golden brown, stirring halfway.
- In a large saucepan (ideally one that is oven-proof to save on washing up) heat the remaining sunflower oil over a medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and fry, stirring, until just turning brown. Add the onion, stir well, then cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook for ten minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion has softened. Add the garlic, ginger and spices, stir well and cook for a further minute.
- Add the cooked aubergines, chickpeas, tinned tomatoes, garam masala and salt and pepper to taste. (It’s fine to add the aubergines a little later if they’re not quite ready yet). Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- While the sauce is bubbling away peel and chop the potatoes. Place in a large pan of water, bring to the boil and cook until soft. Drain and mash along with the margarine and cumin until smooth.
- Spread the mashed potato evenly over the top of the aubergine and chickpea mixture (transfer first to an oven proof dish if you need to). Scuff the top of the mashed potato with a fork and bake in the pre-heated oven for 30-40 minutes until the top is turning golden brown.
- Serve with spiced cabbage or other greens.