These Valentine's Day Shortbread Hearts are dairy free and egg free and would make a perfect gift for the vegan in your life! They are easy to make, look really pretty and taste fantastic.
I created this recipe for Brighthouse, and it's been published in their seasonal food journal, alongside lots of other delicious, seasonal recipes from food bloggers. Check out the seasonal food journal here.
Here's how to make vegan Valentine's Day Shortbread Hearts
Ingredients (for 30)
100g plain flour
75g ground almonds
75g caster sugar
100g cold vegan butter
9g pot of freeze dried raspberries
1 tsp vanilla extract
250g icing sugar
2-3 tbsp water
Vegan heart sugar decorations
1. Mix together the flour, almonds and sugar in a mixing bowl. Rub in the vegan butter with your finger tips (or in a food processor) until you have the consistency of breadcrumbs.
2. Stir in the raspberries and vanilla extract.
3. Knead together gently in the bowl with your hands until the mixture forms a soft dough.
4. Wrap in cling film and place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
5. Line two baking trays with greaseproof baking paper.
6. Dust a work surface with plain flour then roll out the dough and cut out heart shapes with a biscuit cutter.
7. Place on the prepared baking trays and chill in the fridge for a further 30 minutes. This helps them to keep their shape.
8. Pre-heat the oven to 170°C/150°C fan/gas mark 3.
9. Before baking prick each biscuit with a fork.
10. Bake for 20 minutes until lightly golden.
11. Remove and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
These biscuits are delicious un-iced but to make them even more special sift the icing sugar into a mixing bowl. Stir in the water a little at a time until you have a slightly runny consistency. Pour into a piping bag fitted with a small nozzle. Pipe a heart shape around the outside of the biscuit then fill in with the icing. Decorate with sugar hearts and allow to dry.